Thursday, November 26, 2009

What is 'Love'?

Salam 3lykm

I woke up today, feeling spiritually rejuvenated; I don't know if that's related to stayin' awake for more than 48 straight, and sleeping for 12 after that, or whether I'm finally beginning to get my priorities in life straightened out =)

So, as I sleepily rubbed my eyes, words started forming in my head again. A few minutes later, this poem was the outcome:

A word misused and abused
A word that has been demeaned
A word that has many confused
A word that has ruined many a dreams

A word that's the basis of a family
A word shared between soul-mates
A word that..in reality
Isn't merely the opposite of 'hate'

A word that I never want to hear
Unless it's under lawful terms
A word signifying bonds that are clear
Not illegal ones for which one might burn

A word that is oh-so-sacred
A Blessing from The One Above
Unfortunately, by His Creation's misuse...
Degraded
This underestimated word is 'Love'

Some might point out the fact that I didn't include 'friends'; after all, you may love a friend, too. However, I don't believe in friends; as Muslims, we are all brothers and sisters in Islam, denoting a family. Sometimes, you might not really be so close to certain people - Muslims or not - I term those as 'acquaintances'. Others, you might really love - as you would your own sibling - thus...I term those with exactly the same label Islam uses: a sibling. It is the reason you would often hear me say: "I don't have friends." Instead, I have siblings in Islam whom I love for the sake of Allah, and acquaintances...some of which have contributed positively to my life, some negatively, and a very few that have not contributed at all.

With that, wishing you all a Blessed 3eed full of joy - 3eedkm Mbarak, w kil3aam wentow B5ayr =)

Wes Salam 3lykm w R7matullahi T3ala w Barakateh

1 comment:

AbdulAziz Mohammed said...

As great as ever, loved the poem Um3awas